One more voice...

In order to live free and happily you must sacrifice boredom. It is not always an easy sacrifice. ~Richard Bach

Wednesday, November 22, 2006

wide eyed.......part 2

christians in the secular workplace.

this is what i am. a christian in the secular workplace.
i don't flaunt my beliefs. i don't base my work relationships on a conversion basis. i don't disassociate myself with the smokers or those that constantly swear. i don't listen to christian music at work. i don't read my bible on my lunch break.

should i?

some people perhaps do. there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. but in my context i know that i can't....i don't want to. its not like i am trying to hide my "religion" (as everyone puts it) but everyone here at work knows that i am a christian. they know what i am all about. but i've built relationships with them and they don't feel "put upon" by me. how do i know this? because i know that they respect me. the neat thing is, that they feel open to talk about "christian" stuff with me. i don't bring it up...they do. they ask the question and ask my opinion. and so i share...very openly what i think and believe. i once had a conversation with someone about how much they dislike "the church" because of all the hypocracy they see with christians. point taken. i've had many other conversations with co-workers surrounding the idea of religion. God has blessed me through these conversations. and i know that if i didn't have a relationship with these people, things would be vastly different. haha they think its funny to call me "christian girl". but its not said in a degrading sort of way..just fun. how important is it now that i let my actions show what i believe?

a jw was walking around our neighborhood yesterday and knocked at my door. she said to me, "you know its really really hard to choose what is right when you are at work or at school". my response? "no its not hard. yes its a choice but that choice becomes a lifestyle. to the point that i don't need to decide because i know (in certain contexts of course)...its ingrained...almost habit...do you know what i mean? and working in this secular environment doesn't change that. i am who i am. i will be real. i won't try and hide jesus. after all...he is my life. if he is my life...how can i live apart from that.

just some thoughts. people in the secular work/living environment don't hate christians. christians have just been given a bad name. i think its time for a change. maybe i can help to change that in a small way with the few i work with. i can't separate myself from society...nor do i want to. this is where i am. and so this is where i will be.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

no you shouldn't read your Bible on your lunch break ...you should quote passages out loud...especially ones along the lines of 'repent or burn sinners mwa ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha'
i believe thats in the book of hezikiah -luKe

4:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Vicky,
Keep doing what you are doing. It seems like God is totally using you! I believe that God is using you already to make a difference in that way, probably more so than you think. You are a great example as to what it looks like to live a Christian life without forcing your faith down someone's throat.
Thanks for the example!
Aileen

5:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think the more we fight for a distinct 'Christian' identity the more we are percieved to be judging the people/society/culture around us. What is even more disturbing is the things that we have sometimes percieved as distinctives are usually clever facades for a shallow faith. Reading your Bible at lunch break doesn't show anyonehow you struggle with the reality of your own hypocrisy. We need to apologize and admit that our religiousity has made the path toward God even more obscure for those that are really searching for Him.

12:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home